Diary of an adviser: Ashley Hull

Ever wanted to find out what a working week looks like for one of ourindependent financial advisers? Ashley Hull shares his busydiaryto give us some insight intohis day-to-day and how he enjoysspending his free time.


Mondays begin with a team meeting with the director I work alongside and our administrators, planning the week ahead.

I then go through my client files and review documents in preparation for the week’s meetings. One happy client has invested more money in our discretionary fund manager, Beaufort Investment.

The rest of the afternoon is spent on client calls, updates on portfolios and answering queries by email. After work I head out on a training bike ride with my colleagues. We are members of the Ark Riders and are cycling from Basingstoke to Paris for the third year running, to raise funds for the Ark Cancer Centre, which is being built in Basingstoke. So far, the Ark Riders have raised more than £200,000 for the charity. Impressive.


We host monthly ‘breakfast club’ meetings for our professional connections – accountants, solicitors and other important introducers of new business.

We arrive at the stunning new Thames Lido in Reading just before 8am to meet and greet our guests. Following a four-year, £3.5m restoration project, the riverside lido opened on the site of an Edwardian women’s baths.

As well as a very fine breakfast, we make new contacts and keep up to date with existing ones.

After this, I head to Basingstoke for a new client meeting.

We then hot-desk at DeskLodge, one of the new pop-up offices. I spend the rest of the afternoon here editing client reports.

We play a lot of social cricket with colleagues, clients, local professionals and charities we support.

This week we are playing against a local firm of solicitors at the picturesque Oakley Cricket Club in rural Hampshire.

Founded in 1849, it is one of the oldest in the land. After the match we have a drink, a bite and a good chat with everyone.


Today’s schedule shows back-to-back client meetings with my director. It is a busy day. I spend a few hours on Wednesday evening working towards chartered status, revising in the office. Nice and quiet.


A client sign-up meeting this morning. We confirm that the client is happy with our plans and is ready to start their journey with us. Exciting.

As I head back to the office – to talk to our marketing executive about an article on inheritance tax she has asked me to write for the website and social media channels -I reflect on what a positive week we have had so far. In the evening, I head off to a networking event, for which I am on the committee. It was a great success and always good to meet new people, particularly solicitors and accountants.


I have an 8.30am phone call with my director to discuss the recommendation for the client we visited on Tuesday.

Afterwards, I meet with the administrators to see what they have been working on this week and let them know what needs to be done for the following week.

I spend the afternoon ensuring all reports are edited and documents are in order for my meetings on Monday and Tuesday.

After work a few of us head out to the local pub to celebrate a colleague’s birthday – a good way to wind down after a busy week.